Re: Redirect, Rewrite and php.ini

On 02/07/07, Senén de Diego <senen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I'm trying to redirect requests from "/foo/bar.jnlp" to "/foo/bar.php".

Be careful using the word redirect as it has a very specific meaning.

I've tried this .htaccess file:

[
Redirect permanent /foo/bar.jnlp http://www.domain.com/foo/bar.php
]

This is a redirect :-)

I've also tried this one:

[
RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /foo
RewriteRule ^bar\.jnlp$ bar.php
]

This isn't. It's an internal rewrite which, if it works, the client
will be unaware of.

Your use of RewriteBase indicates that the htaccess file is in the
/foo directory, is that right? In order to better test whether you are
able to use mod_rewrite, please read (it's a draft so your comments
would be helpful):

http://wiki.apache.org/httpd/Rewrite/Troubleshooting/HtaccessIgnored

Both files work in our local server, but not in our hosting provider's one.
I've asked them if they have mod_alias and rewrite enabled, and their last answer has been:

"As previously stated, the module AllowOverride is enabled at this time
on our shared hosting plans and is accessible through php.ini.
Mod_rewrite is also functioning correctly on your hosting plan. Our
Advanced Hosting Support team has reviewed your issue and found no
errors with the configuration of our hosting servers. We are unable to
assist you with your custom scripting issues at this time..."

As I don't know what has php.ini to do with this issue, I would like to
know, from someone with more knowledge than I have, if this answer makes
sense and if there is anything I could enable through php.ini to make this work.

No, it doesn't make much sense. AllowOverride is a directive, not a
module, and has absolutely nothing to do with php.ini.

--
noodl