Re: Ask for suggestions - 25000 visitors

My server just hit front page digg.com, and it was #7 on the alexa.com movers and shakers list.  A single thread on a forum I host was the culprit, and the page itself must have 10-15 mysql queries generated by PHP.  At one point I had 3,400 simultaneous connections, moving over 20megabits of traffic PER SECOND.  I moved at least 100gbs of traffic in 48 hours.  All of this was on a tuned dual-processor Opteron 246 with 2 gbs of RAM.  So yeah, 25k visitors/week is nothing and can be handled easily by any modern hardware.

--Victor

On 6/27/07, Nick Kew <nick@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 11:04:57 -0500
"Carlos Oyarzabal" <carlos.oyarzabal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> We wait for spikes at first hours every day because the web site will
> support a rally.
> The pages requested will be mostly static.
> The pageviews could reach 3 per visitor.
> The queries could reach 5 per visitor.
>
> Could you suggest me the hardware?

Any hardware from this century will have no problem.

We had to upgrade a FreeBSD box from 32Mb to 128Mb RAM
when traffic went above 1.5 million a month (30k/day).
That included quite a lot of dynamic stuff.

--
Nick Kew

http://www.apachetutor.org/