RE: Geolocation Question

Hi Karel,

Thanks for the reply ... I see your point about utilizing mod_proxy, but we actually use mod_status (which is preferred by mod_proxy_balance as far as I can tell) to feed mod_proxy_balance info for it's load balancing algorithms (bytes transferred, numbers of hits, etc...). Mod_status also allows the balancer manager to run which handles enabling / disabling of cluster members so we really have to use it. As for session management, we just want to redirect people back to the same server in case their download breaks or they want to download more than one file ... this way we can avoid the costly GeoIP lookup each time they return.

As a side note, I've been searching around on the ip2location forums and found that they have released an apache module which puts the ip2location data into  apache environment variables for each request. I think this would make a mod_proxy_balancer patch much more manageable but I'm not really sure? Is it generally easy to reference environment variables from modules? Also, I bought a book from Amazon called 'Writing Apache Modules with Perl and C' but it mainly focuses on Perl modules. Does anyone know how Perl modules stack up against C modules in terms of performance?

Thanks for replying,

Jon