Apache Thread Creation/Destroy Problem

I'm running the following code inside of an apache module:

apr_thread_t *thd_arr;
apr_pool_create(&ai->mp, NULL);
apr_threadattr_t *thd_attr;
apr_threadattr_create(&thd_attr, (ai->mp));
apr_threadattr_detach_set(thd_attr,1);
apr_thread_create(&thd_arr, thd_attr, ExecuteAction, ai, ai->mp);

The module runs in the mod_gsoap module (it's running as a gsoap web
service).  It's running on Apache 2.2.3 on Windows.

The problem is that we're seeing a thread handle leak.  I can see in the
logs that a thread is created and should be exiting correctly, but when
I use Handle.exe to dump all handles I can still see that the thread ID
is still in the list, even after exiting.

I've added the above code into a simple test program and the program
seems to run as expected, the handle count doesn't go up, the threads
are created, and when the threads die the thread count goes down.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.