[Fwd: Re: Apache, Windows XP, and mapped drives]

Re sent to the proper group this time.

Jim Owens wrote:
Thanks, I appreciate your help.

That's fine, but please keep the messages on the list for everyone's benefit.

You suggest that if I follow your instructions, I could then use, for
example, http://example.com/topshare.

Unfortunately, the "example.com" I want to get files from is not running
an http service, and would refuse this request.

Then I am confused, what is Apache for?
example.com does not refer to the location your will try and gain access to with Apache. I merely said that if example.com was the website you had configured in Apache, then using my suggested configuration, example.com/topshare would be the same as \\yourserver\topshare

Where
[1] example.com  =  your website address (i.e. www.apache.org)
[2] topshare = the name of the windows share (the name of the share)
[3] yourserver = the name of the server where share is located.

I will repeat my suggested config below with some annotations, maybe this will help clear it up for you.

<-- Config Example Starts Here -->

Alias /topshare //server1/topshare
# This line will instruct Apache to use "//server1/topshare" when users attempt to go to /topshare on your website.

<Directory "//server1/topshare">
Order deny,allow
Allow from all
Options indexes
</Directory>
# These 5 lines basically set the few basic required permissions, and options # you would need to allow Apache to show a directory listing of "//server1/topshare"

<-- Config Example Ends Here -->

If you place these in your appropriate server or vhost configuration it should work fine (as long as you change the paths to match your environment