Re: MPM suggestion

On 6/1/07, Polonkai Gergely <polesz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

could you please suggest me which MPM module to use?

I have about 10-15 active production sites, all with effectively low
traffic. Some of them use php, others use perl for generating dynamic
content. For PHP I'm currently using mod_php, but using PHP as CGI is
an option if needed.

In the future, I want to make this system a bit more secure, and so I
decided to use different UIDs and GIDs for the different sites, so
they cannot touch each others' files. Which MPM should I use to
achieve this? I also thought it would be nice if the separate sites
would use different chroots, but this is not necessary for me (or is it?).

No particular MPM supports this.

If you only want to isolate cgi scripts, then you can simply use suexec.

If you want complete isolation, you need to use multiple apache
instances, as described here:
http://wiki.apache.org/httpd/Recipes/Different_UserIDs_Using_Reverse_Proxy

In either case, any MPM will do. The highest performance with the
lowest resource use likely comes from worker or event. The best
stability (in terms of resilience in the face of crashing scripts and
avoidance of thread safety problems) comes from prefork.

Joshua.