Re: Is Win32 Apache ready for prime time?

William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> Jess Holle wrote:
>> William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

>>> Note that 2.2.4 fixed a *number* of bugs (and introduced one into Win2000,
>>> the flaw of resolving all clients as 0.0.0.0 - disable win32 acceptex to
>>> work around that one).  2.2.5 will be substantially improved over 2.2.4,
>>> as well.
>>>
>> That's nice to hear.
>>
>> When will 2.2.5 see the light of day, though?
>
> Given interesting news that hit the light of day, early next week, most
> likely.  Depends on how long it takes someone to hack the pid table for
> the parent processes out of the scoreboard and into the parent process's
> local hash.
[snip]

heres my side:
Foo JH Said:
> Hello morgan,
>
>> Ya Know, i have an apache WAMP5 box runnin on xp home too! and other
>> than net downtime and power outages, its been up ~3mo!
>>
>> i will agree that the win32 version of apache is *godly* stable - im
>> running somwthing like 2.2.3 win32 - a nice stable version.
>
> Yes I am enjoying Apache on Win32 too. But my question to be specific is:
> 1. Apache will automatically recover when it faults (in my case), so you
>may not notice the problem. Can you check your error log if you are experiencing the same error message as well?

in my case, XAMPP (the ApacheFriends dist.) fails completely because of
the FTP daemon, but otherwise is fine.

Apache Win32 when installed as a windows service works well, and I have
only seen it fail in _very_ limited situations (ie 30000000000 requests
for "admin.htt" - an IIS page) but it came back and was running nice and
fine with about 1 minute of downtime (how long it took for the machine
to restart the service!)

I got one error that came close to it - it was related to memory in my
case, apache doing a malloc to big for my 32 megs of memory avail to it
(caused by mod_php - uploading a 45 mb file!)

could it have been the perl script running pushing a file over the system?

> 2. Since you are on WAMP (P = PHP?) Are you running PHP scripts intensively?

Wamp is a port of the LAMP server idea to Windows - i'm running the
latest (only really works with apache 2.2.3 because of a special
mod_wampadmin addon)

in my case, the WAMP part is really this:
Apache 2.2.3 with some extras to handle talking to the control daemon
using a special device (a named pipe really)
PHP 2
MySQL 5
Windows XP Home build #2600
PEAR (for PHP/Perl/Apache comms apparently - im not sure)

as long as theres no security problems with the stale version, im fine
with it.

Hope that helps

- --
Just a Thought