Re: How to store loginformation in user specified directory?

On 5/30/07, ramakrishnaprasad.annasamudram@xxxxxxxxx
<ramakrishnaprasad.annasamudram@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi,

We are facing a tight problem regarding a user  requirement to store logfile in user specified directory.We are getting  segmentation fault when we are starting apache when we try to use a log file in  user defined directory(other than logs/).
We used fopen(),fprintf() to write the user  specified file.This always gave segmentation fault.The one option we had  regarding using ErrorLog is failing since httpd.conf recognises path w.r.t  ServerRoot.
Did any one has done this before? Is this possible  ? If so please suggest a way out.

That doesn't really make any sense to me. Apache will happily write
the access and error logs wherever you tell it, if the permissions are
correct and there is sufficient space. Have you tried starting apache
under strace to see what syscall is failing? Have you tried debugging
the core dump?

I also don't understand what you mean when you say you used
fopen(),fprintf(). Why do you need to use these? It is apache that
controls the log files directly.

Finally, you should heed the warning in the docs that logs shouldn't
be written anywhere that root does not exclusively control. Otherwise,
whatever user controls the log directory can almost certainly gain
root.

Joshua.