Re: Re: High volume issues using mod_proxy (balancer,http,ajp) on Apache 2.2.4 across multiple tomcat 5.5.23 clusters - Configuration issues or bugs?

On May 23, 2007, at 4:07 PM, justin wright wrote:

I'm in the middle of a test right (~15min into it) now with 1250 users pounding the heck out of this thing and (knock on wood) there are no errors in the apache logs. Here are my settings:

<IfModule mpm_prefork_module>
    StartServers         512
    ServerLimit          2048
    MaxClients           1250
    MinSpareServers      25
    MaxSpareServers      512
    MaxRequestsPerChild  100000
</IfModule>

It seems if these setting aren't right it really messes with the proxy.

On the tomcat side the number of busy threads continue to grow. I still don't understand how I can go directly against tomcat and only consume ~160 busy threads and now its consuming ~1000 threads and is still climbing. Any ideas?

Think of Apache as a switchboard operator... In this case,
people don't call Joe Blow directly, but they call the
operator who then "patches them in" to Joe Blow. Joe
Blow can get away with 1 phone line and his load is
small. The switchboard operator does not have life so easy.
Configuring Apache right makes the switchboard operator
more efficient.

Now when using Apache in front, and connection pooling,
the operator now has several lines to Joe Blow
and will use them as needed...

Still don't see the need for MaxRequestsPerChild to be
anything other than 0. And netstat -an is your friend to
see the socket utilization between Apache and TC.