Re: Re: High volume issues using mod_proxy (balancer,http,ajp) on Apache 2.2.4 across multiple tomcat 5.5.23 clusters - Configuration issues or bugs?

justin wright wrote:
> I'm assuming that since I have plenty of memory and plenty of CPU capacity and I am trying to come up with a configuration for a site that will have very high peak loads that I would want plenty of spare servers to service a sudden influx of requests.  What would you suggest.

I would suggest that as you get nailed, it's going to be too busy
keeping 256 more servers FREE than acutally serving all the requests
that are inbound.  MaxSpareServers can certainly be kept quite high
if you have all that ram available, but MinSpareServers is the edge
level at which apache is busier forking off spares rather than taking
care of your incoming requests.  The default value was probably right.

StartServers can also be set quite high so that your forking is all
going on long before the traffic gets to your site.