Re: DocumentRoot - Apache2 - Ubuntu

On 5/22/07, Tim Johnson <tim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tuesday 22 May 2007 11:06, Krist van Besien wrote:
> What I've done on my personal server (which also runs Ubuntu Linux) is
> to have a seperate config file for each virtual server in
> sites-available. In sites-enabled I've then made links to "activate"
> those virtual hosts that I want to be active.
   Hi Krist:
   To make sure that I follow you - as an example, I would put symlink
   called @cgi-bin under sites-enabled and then by able to access it as
   http://localhost/cgi-bin/script.extension ?

No no, that is not what I mean.

What Ubuntu does is split the httpd.conf in pieces, in seperate config
files. The config by default includes all config files in
sites_enabled. If you look in that directory you will see that it
contains links to files in sites_available.

You can add config files to sites_available, and then link them to
sites_enabled to make sure apache includes them. This way you can
extend and change the config without editing existing files, which
helps preserving the changes when you upgrade.
You don't have to do this, but the way choosen by the creators of
Ubuntu is to have it this way.

What I did is put every <virtualhost> block in its own config file. In
these config files I configured for every virtual host where the
docroot is, where it has to log etc...
All these config files are under sites_available, and sites_enabled
contains links to these files.

Krist

--
krist.vanbesien@xxxxxxxxx