Re: A reverse proxy question

Joshua Slive wrote:

First question: Why aren't you just letting ProxyPassReverse do its
job? It should be able to handle rewriting of redirects.

That is the crux of the problem. I am not sure if I can explain this correctly but it appears that the application is doing something internally that hijacks the normal HTTP redirect flow so the normal mechanism works fine for almost everything except a few cases. I really don't know how to capture the actual headers so I can tell you exactly what is happening here when it does not work.

On the application side, I can get to the method calls that force the redirects and add the correct path to them. I have not gotten into the internals of these methods and don't want to go rewriting libraries to "fix" the problem. This is a special case which has come about because I can't get Ruby and Rails to serve properly via Apache directly on a Plesk based machine. (I posted about that a couple of months ago and never found a resolution to the premature end of script headers problems I was seeing). I ended up having to run an instance of lighttpd on another port and then proxy to it to make the application work at all.

So because I can't get the application running directly under Apache, I am forced to kludge together something that works but has a few quirks that need a bit of help to get around.

Anyway, if you want the origin server to know that stuff went through
the proxy, there are lots of clues in the request headers by default.
Take a look at X-Forwarded-For, etc.

Or you can always add your own header:
RequestHeader Set X-Went-Through-Proxy Yes

OK, will do. Now I have to figure out how to retrieve those headers in a Ruby application.

Dragon