Virtual Host Configuration

I am trying to find the best solution to this issue.
I have two apache servers hosting virtual domains
both in the same domain.

The first server hosts a virtual domain for webmail
and is also the smtp and imap server.  The DNS A record
for this host points to the domain and a CNAME record
references the address as webmail ...
	A             mydomain.edu
	CNAME webmail.mydomain.edu

The apache server virtual host is
ServerName webmail.mydomain.edu

My second webserver has various virtual domains as well as
the default www.mydomain.edu.

Now what I would like to do is be able to set up a
default virtual domain on webserver two which will
answer inquieres to mydomain.edu.  Therefore webserver
one needs to redirect inquieres to mydomain.edu to
www.mydomain.edu.

Currently such inquires end up at webserver one and
the webmail page.  If I set up a default virtual host
on webserver one as
ServerName mydomain.edu, then all inquieres including
the ones for webmail.mydomain.edu go there.  Why is this?
ServerName webmail.mydomain.edu follows the default virtual
host.

Is there a simpler way to accomplish this without changing
the DNS records?  Suggestions are appreciated.

S.Waltz