RE: name resolution

Glen Vickers wrote:

> K I figured out whats going on with my virtual hosts. I have to have 3
> because of the differences. But I noticed that if I go sillumutah.com
> or sillumutah.net it works fine..
>
> If I put the WWW in front or any other prefix it bombs to the default.
> So my guess is its my virtual server config. Only reason I say that is
> because my DNS resolves all addresses properly to the correct IP
> address. So I looked online and thought I had it. My last test said
> NO! so my friends. What am I missing to get the WWW or any other
> prefix to work?
>
> Keep in mind that nslookup does pull up each of these correctly with
> all prefix's. both inside and out.. So I'm stumped.
>
> NameVirtualHost *:80
>
> <VirtualHost *:80>
>
> ServerAdmin monk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> DocumentRoot /var/www/html
>
> ServerName www.buddistpalm.net
>
> ServerAlias buddistpalm.net *.buddistpalm.net
>
> ErrorLog logs/buddispalm.net-error_log
>
> CustomLog logs/buddistpalm.net-access_log common
>
> </VirtualHost>
>
> <VirtualHost *:80>
>
> ServerAdmin monk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> DocumentRoot /var/www/sillumutah
>
> ServerName www.sillumutah.com
>
> ServerAlias sillumutah.com *.sillumutah.com
>
> ErrorLog logs/sillumutahcom.error_log
>
> CustomLog logs/sillumutahcom.access_log common
>
> </VirtualHost>
>
> <VirtualHost *:80>
>
> ServerAdmin monk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> DocumentRoot /var/www/sillumutah
>
> ServerName www.sillumutah.net
>
> ServerAlias sillumutah.net *.sillumutah.net
>
> ErrorLog logs/sillumutahnet.error_log
>
> CustomLog logs/sillumutahnet.access_log common
>
> </VirtualHost>

You need to duplicate your VHs but setting ServerName without the 'www'
part. That's what I do and I have zero troubles. I do not use ServerAlias.

<VirtualHost>
ServerName sillumutah.com
</VirtualHost>
<VirtualHost>
ServerName www.sillumutah.com
</VirtualHost>

etc.

Norm
------
Well I learned something new,  that's awesome.  It seems that I have to have
a virtual domain for each because the alias didn't ever work.  Fine by me so
long as it works.  Thank you a lot Norm.