Re: Apache 2.2 and proxy_balancer - tcp session pipelining

Hi, Ryan

On 11 May 2007, at 15:46, Ryan Murray wrote:

Now, what I want to do this time is configure my reverse proxy server to open several connections to each of the back end worker servers when the proxy starts to my back end hosts so that the tcp session can be pipelined, thus preventing the burden of creating and tearing down tcp sessions on the back end boxes for new visitor requests.
If you are using the preform MPM you have one server process for each Apache worker. Therefore each apache worker opens exactly one connection to the back end so max per worker always == 1 and your "real max" connections to the backend <= number of Apache workers. With the Prefork MPM, I don't believe there is way to limit the number of Apache workers which will actually open connections to the backend.

Thanks for your reply. What I am looking to do is ensure that a minimum number of connections are always open to the back end web- servers. This should improve cluster performance at quiet times & service restart.