Re: utf8 charset question

On 5/10/07, Greg Lindahl <lindahl@xxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, May 09, 2007 at 03:35:46PM -0400, Joshua Slive wrote:

> In my opinion, that is a bug. Apache should be passing the charset
> specified by your CGI script in the Content-Type line

But nothing in the docs says that .cgi scripts are treated differently
from any other file. I'm much more concerned that the .htaccess
is apparently being ignored, but only for .cgi scripts.

CGI scripts get special meta-data treatment because they are capable
of (and responsible for) setting their own meta-data. For example, the
AddType directive has no effect on CGI scripts either, by design. In
general, I wouldn't expect any of the mod_mime stuff to have any
effect on CGI scripts (except for some special cases). The same
applies to any dynamic content like php scripts or java servlet output
-- mod_mime is ignored because they are responsible for their own
meta-data.

In particular, according the CGI specification, CGI scripts must set
their own Content-Type header. The charset is part of the Content-Type
header, and therefore should be set by the CGI script and passed
through by apache to the client. The fact that this is not happening
is a bug (and a pretty serious one if it is happening generally and
not just in some special cases that we are testing).

Joshua.