Basic Authentication: Firefox requires twice while Explorer only once

I have set up current Apache 2.2 version for Debian Etch (package installation) and implemented authentication with the following lines in the sites-avaliable/default files:

<Directory ***>
  AllowOverride AuthConfig
  AuthType Basic
  AuthName "***"
  AuthUserFile /****
  Require valid-user
  allow from all
</Directory>

Autentication seems to be working fine for Internet Explorer clients, and Firefox under Linux. The problem is with Firefox under windows (I have only tried Windows xp).
After the usual authentication window, a second Windows xp window appears (see bottom of the mail), requiring the user and password again. If data is correct, then everything works fine, but I guess this is not a desirable situation.
Entering the data twice can be easily avoided by checking the "Remember password" option, but still this is not an elegant solution.

Any idea of what can be wrong with Firefox under Windows?

Thanks,
Guillermo