How to install Apache without a root account?

Dear all,

I am a newbie to apache and encountered a problem when installing it.

I was asked to install Apache 1.3.37 on a Solaris 8 machine with my own account, which does not have privilige to write to /usr/local/. So I updated the Makefile and made those directories pointing to my own directory. for example

prefix = /usr/local/apache

was changed by myself to

prefix = $(HOME)/apache

then I run

$./configure
$make
$make install

The result was good and I saw the success message.

| You now have successfully built and installed the      |
| Apache 1.3 HTTP server. To verify that Apache actually |
| works correctly you now should first check the         |
| (initially created or preserved) configuration files   |
|   /home/hwg300/apache/conf/httpd.conf
| and then you should be able to immediately fire up     |
| Apache the first time by running:                      |
|   /home/hwg300/apache/bin/apachectl start
| Thanks for using Apache.       The Apache Group        |
|                                http://www.apache.org/  |

But when I start the server, an error occured.

$ /home/hwg300/apache/bin/apachectl start
fopen: No such file or directory
httpd: could not open document config file /usr/local/apache/conf/httpd.conf
/home/hwg300/apache/bin/apachectl start: httpd could not be started

Could anybody tell me what I should do ?

Thanks !