Problem with mod_dav compile in Apache http

I am very new to Apache and I am trying to set up a Subversion source control server.  The server is a Red Hat Linux machine with an old version of Apache on it:
Server version: Apache/2.0.46
Server built:   Sep 25 2003 09:26:39

Rather than try to upgrade the old version of Apache, the files of which appear to be spread all over the system with no "config.nice", I am trying to install a newer version (2.0.59) into /usr/local/apache2.

In the modules folder of the Red hat install (2.0.46), there are a good number of libraries, including the ones I need (mod_dav.so and mod_dav_fs.so).  When I compile and install the 2.0.59 source however, the only file within the modules folder is httpd.exp.

I have tried a number of configure script calls, the latest of which is:

[svn@abqlx1 svn]$ ./configure --enable-dav --enable-so --enable-ssl --enable-deflate --prefix=/usr/local/apache2

The calls to configure are of course followed by "make" and "make install".

The configure and make are run as a standard user and "make install" is run as root.

I have captured the output from these commands and there were no obvious errors displayed.

Bottom line, does anyone know what I am doing wrong here and what I need to do to create the mod_dav.so file?

Thank you,
David