Re: [OT] Define a domains DNS entry entirely in terms of another

$quoted_author = "John Steel" ;

> I tried this which just gave host not found
>
> example.net.          IN NS     ns.example.net.
> example.net.          IN NS     ns0.example.net.
> ns.example.net.       IN CNAME  example.com.
> example.net.          IN CNAME  example.com.
> webmail.example.net.  IN CNAME  example.net.
> mail.example.net.     IN CNAME  example.net.
> ftp.example.net.      IN CNAME  example.net.
> www.example.net.      IN CNAME  example.net.
> example.net.          IN MX 10  mail.example.net.

does making these all CNAME to example.com. fix the host not found?

sometimes CNAMEs pointing at CNAMEs which point at A records confuse
resolvers.

this is really a DNS question, best answered on a DNS list. feel free to
contact me off-list if you want some more help...

cheers
marty

--
"Nod.  Mindreading is a less useful skill than mindwriting, considering
 all the blank media on the hoof in every major city." - Anthony de Boer

alt.sysadmin.recovery - <e4j1g1$vaa$1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>