Re: url rewrite to fix ssl issue with aliased domain name

On 4/12/07, Jeffrey Williams <jeff@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
my dns is set up with my domain name cnamed to my webserver e.g.

mydomain.com IN CNAME www.myname.com

my server is also running a wildcard cert for my domain.

Now when people come to the site by following a link for
www.mydomain.com, or type www.mydomain.com in the address bar, all is
good with the world.

However if they follow link for mydomain.com, or type mydomain.com, they
get a certname does not match hostname error. (apparently wildcard certs
don't work for domain names without a subdomain or hostname prepended)

Anyway I have tried to use rewrite rules to fix this following are the
two forms I tried:

I don't think this is really possible, because the redirect won't
happen until after the SSL negotiation (and certificate warning). If
you accept the certificate, are you seeing the redirection happen? If
not, you should also check to make sure the RewriteRules are inside
the relevant <VirtualHost>s or that you have RewriteOptions inherit
and RerwiteEngine On in the <VirtualHost>s.

Joshua.