Re: url rewrite to fix ssl issue with aliased domain name

Maybe you should use the Redirect or RedirectMatch directive instead of mod_rewrite. It's considered to be faster, I haven't measured yet however.

Gergely POLONKAI

Jeffrey Williams írta:
my dns is set up with my domain name cnamed to my webserver e.g.

mydomain.com IN CNAME www.myname.com

my server is also running a wildcard cert for my domain.

Now when people come to the site by following a link for www.mydomain.com, or type www.mydomain.com in the address bar, all is good with the world.

However if they follow link for mydomain.com, or type mydomain.com, they get a certname does not match hostname error. (apparently wildcard certs don't work for domain names without a subdomain or hostname prepended)

Anyway I have tried to use rewrite rules to fix this following are the two forms I tried:

RewriteCond "%{HTTP_HOST}" "^mydomain\.com" [NC]
RewriteRule "^/(.*)" "http://www.mydomain.com/$1"; [R]

and

RewriteCond "%{HTTP_HOST}" "!^www\.mydomain\.com" [NC]
RewriteCond "%{HTTP_HOST}" "!^$"
RewriteRule "^/(.*)" "http://www.mydomain.com/$1"; [R]

neither seems to work, the address bar still shows mydomain.com without the www. and the cert warning still shows that the requested hostname as mydomain.com without the www.

by the way I have about a dozen other rewrite rules all following these ones that seem to be working ok.

any suggestions as to what I am doing wrong, or another way to solve this problem, would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeff