Problems with Vista

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post but I'm running out of
ideas on what to do, where to look or what to ask! :)

I have been experiencing problems with my PHP and MySQL-based web
application hanging when running a local Apache server on m$ Vista.

I can't say for sure that the problem is Apache, but neither can I
specifically narrow it down to MySQL or PHP.

To be brief, the code runs perfectly on the following setups:

Windows XP running Apache 2.2.4, MySQL 4.1, PHP 5.2.1
Windows XP running Apache 2.2.4, MySQL 4.1, PHP 5.2
Windows XP running Apache 2.2.4, MySQL 5.0.37, PHP 5.2.1
Windows XP running Apache 2.2.4, MySQL 5.0.22, PHP 5.2.1
Windows XP running Apache 2.0.59, MySQL 4.1, PHP 5.2.1
Windows XP running Apache 2.0.59, MySQL 5.0.22, PHP 5.2.1
Fedora Core 6 running Apache 2.2.4, MySQL 5.0.37, PHP 5.2.1

Three are no problems whatsoever on any of those setups, everything
runs perfectly (as expected, the code doesn't try anything special!).
However, on the following setups..

Windows Vista x64 running Apache 2.2.4, MySQL 5.0.37, PHP 5.2.1
Windows Vista x64 running Apache 2.2.4, MySQL 5.0.37, PHP 5.2
Windows Vista x64 running Apache 2.2.4, MySQL 5.0.22, PHP 5.2
Windows Vista x64 running Apache 2.0.59, MySQL 5.0.22, PHP 5.2.1
Windows Vista x64 running Apache 2.0.59, MySQL 5.0.22, PHP 5.2
Windows Vista x64 running Apache 2.0.59, MySQL 5.0.37, PHP 5.2
Windows Vista x64 running Apache 2.2.4 x64, MySQL 5.0.37 x64, PHP 5.2.1 x64
(from apachelounge.com)

..a few pages of a site using my web application can be browsed at
most before "hangs" are experienced; the "Page Loading" animation just
displays continuously.

Opening another browser/tab allows the usage of a local version of
PHPMyAdmin while the site which I attempted to access above still
remains "hung", so there doesn't appear to be any problem which is
bringing down Apache or MySQL altogether, each can continue to start
and run other threads.

However, the web application rarely functions again (i.e. clicking on
other URLs for this local site doesn't bring any of the pages up)
until either MySQL or Apache is restarted.

This leads me to believe that something between Apache/PHP and MySQL
is simply getting stuck at some point.

Why this *never* happens on XP/Linux and continuously happens on Vista
I just don't know, but the fact that this problem is 100% reliable in
its occurrence (i.e. reproducible) means that something's up with
either MySQL, PHP or Apache on Vista.

I know that Apache won't even install properly on Windows Vista
without disabling UAC etc (which obviously I've done or I couldn't
have run all the test setups above ;) )... so I'm guessing that it is
most likely to blame.

Could this problem be some kind of restrictions within Vista on one
process calling another (Apache with PHP calling MySQL)? Does Apache
need to be fixed for Vista to comply with such a policy?

I really don't know, I'm completely lost now and unfortunately my only
current recourse is to move back to XP, which is hugely frustrating as
I've *no other reason* to move back at all other than this not
working. :(

If anyone has any inkling towards what might be happening, or any
information about incompatibilities between Apache and Vista, I'd
really appreciate it if you could let me know.

Thanks! :)

All the best...

Conor

--