Re: Help on MaxClients setting, consider raising the MaxClients setting

Arnab,

On Mar 30, 2007, at 11:21 PM, Arnab Ganguly wrote:

What I saw was the ServerLimit value = 2 when I kept I saw one root and two daemon process.And among the two daemon it is the only one daemon handles all my request.So my requirement is met.But when I replace the value of ServerLimit = 1 the above behavior is also same.

ServerLimit has no impact on the number of processes actually created: it governs the size of some data structures Apache creates when it starts up. The actual limiting value is MaxClients and while it is true that MaxClients / ThreadsPerChild <= ServerLimit, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

The other config was followed was same as below

StartServers 1
MaxClients 25
MinSpareThreads 25

As Joshua points out this is a confusing value since you don't allow the server to spawn more children to satisfy the idle thread requirement. Zero would be a more adequate value but I don't know if Apache supports that.

MaxSpareThreads  25
ThreadsPerChild  25
MaxRequestsPerChild 0.

The minspare threads I will reduce it to 5 or to some lower value.But I still get the error as "MaxClients setting, consider raising the MaxClients setting ".

Apache logs this when it reaches the MaxClients value. Your setting are such that this will always happen (since it'll spawn one child of 25 threads on startup). The line in the error log has no other implication: since you are consciously configuring for this situation it is completely harmless.

I can't increase the value of MaxClients ad the number of active child process has to be one also the Threadsperchild has to be 25 as this is the max value in Unix.

I don't think this is the case. Our compile-time default maximum is 64, but you can change that using the ThreadLimit directive:

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/mpm_common.html#threadlimit

So is there any other way I can subside the error also my requirement is met.I am new to apache and sorry for some basic qustions.

Don't worry about the MaxClients error: it is harmless and attends you to a condition that you explicitly create.

S.

--
sctemme@xxxxxxxxxx            http://www.temme.net/sander/
Open Source Software Consultant

ApacheCon 2007 Europe, May 1-4 in Amsterdam
http://www.eu.apachecon.com/