To: <users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, March 29, 2007 2:46 PM
Subject: Re:  mod_ssl question

On 3/29/07, Rodman <rodman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Great!! Now I have to figure out how to do it. You wouldn't happen to have a link handy with some basic instructions on how to secure just a directory instead of an entire site? I'm guessing that I would have to use some sort of SSL <Directory></Directory> container inside my <Virtual> container but
this is just a guess.

I'll check with godaddy and see what I can dig up for cheaper
certificates...

You're thinking about this from the wrong perspective.

Once you have SSL, you will have two separate websites: one with ssl
using https on port 443, and one without ssl using http on port 80.
Each should have it's own <VirtualHost> block in your config.

Then if you want certain content to be available in only one vhost or
the other, you put directives in these <VirtualHost>s to make it
happen.  For example, if you want the mail directory to be available
only on the ssl host, then redirect requests for /mail under the
non-ssl host over to the ssl host:

<VirtualHost *:80>
Redirect /mail https://mysite.example.com/mail
</VirtualHost>

You can also use the SSLRequireSSL directive in a <Directory> section,
but it isn't strictly necessary.

Joshua.