Proxy performance.

We have some problems wht the performance of an apache http server
that we use as a proxy. The performance is way below what we expected.

- Apache is version 2.0.59
- The hardware is a fully decked out SUN T2000, with Solaris 10.

the proxy is used to forward requests from one web application
(running on Jboss) to another. On our test system we can get the two
webapps to communicate directly, but on our production environment
this will not be possible.

When the webapps communicate directly they can easily send 1'0 or more
requests per seconds. When they communicate via the proxy we start to
see requests timing out as  soon as we send more than six requests per
second.

Surely an apache proxy on a T2000 ought to be able to handle more than
6 requests per second?

I am not seeing any trace at all of the requests that time out in the
access or error log of my proxy. The proxy does also appear to be
running fine. It is started with the following workers:

<IfModule prefork.c>
StartServers         5
MinSpareServers    125
MaxSpareServers    150
MaxClients         250
MaxRequestsPerChild  0
</IfModule>

But looking at the server-status page I get the impression it never
needs more than about 20 workers...

What could be the cause of this low performance?

Krist

--
krist.vanbesien@xxxxxxxxx
Bremgarten b. Bern, Switzerland