Using mod_rewrite and mod_proxy add SSL DN as Basic authentication header

Hi,

We have a reverse proxy that accepts requests over HTTPS with client
cert authentication, which will then proxy over the request to the
internal server(s) over plain HTTP. In the internal server's
application, it would authenticate the user using Basic
authentication. Right now, the proxy server is running on Apache 1.3.
We wrote a custom module that would strip out the entire DN out of the
SSL headers from the incoming request and then insert it into the
proxied request as a Basic Auth header with a generic password
(something like "/O=My Company/OU=My CA/CN=My User:password") The
internal application would validate the user based purely on the DN
itself so the password doesn't matter.

I would like to upgrade the reverse proxy to use Apache 2.2 now.
Instead of writing another custom module, I would like to see if
existing mods can be employed to do this.

This post in the archives
(http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/httpd-users/200504.mbox/<af5b9c4169ad4cd24e78522972f70e7d%40alum.dartmouth.org>)
uses mod_rewrite to proxy the entire client cert SSL header over to
the opposing side of reverse proxy. Hence, I figure that it may be
possible to do the same but to manipulate the the proxied request in a
different manner instead.

I'm quite a greenhorn in Apache configuration, so I thought I'd fish
around to see if anyone has already gotten this down pat. Would
appreciate any pointers and also any warnings if I'm going about this
completely wrong.

Thanks!
Wong