RE: Request for Input: ApacheCon SSL Training

The FAQ is fine - it describes the situation as it is on the vast
majority of extant browsers and servers. The RFC you are going to read
carefully describes a new proposal; basically, to put an additional
header into the cleartext preamble before the SSL session is
established. This additional header will contain the hostname and so,
when the server comes to do the SSL negotiation, it will already know
the hostname and so will know what VH to go to and so will be able to
get the correct certificate. NBVHing will then work over SSL!

I'm not sure about the uptake of this new standard - obviously it relies
on the browser sending the new header in the request and I don't know
what, if any, plans there are for building it into new browsers. The
trouble might be that it's an improvement that helps the server (it can
use NBVH) but the work (generating the extra header) has to be done in
the client-community. The client doesn't noticeably gain anything since
the TCP/IP details of the server are hidden behind the domain-name (ie,
the user just types a domain-name into the browser and dowsn't know or
care whether the host is IP-based or name-based).

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

> Thanks,
>
> Olivier
>
> Olivier CHIROUZE
> I&0 Infrastructure
> Volvo Information Technology

This message is for the named person's use only. It may contain confidential, proprietary or legally privileged information. No confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost by any mistransmission. If you receive this message in error, please notify the sender urgently and then immediately delete the message and any copies of it from your system. Please also immediately destroy any hardcopies of the message. You must not, directly or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of this message if you are not the intended recipient. The sender's company reserves the right to monitor all e-mail communications through their networks. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where the message states otherwise and the sender is authorised to state them to be the views of the sender's company.