Sent: Wednesday, March 21, 2007 12:17 PM
Subject: Re: Apache 2.2.4 and Vista

In a message dated 3/17/2007 10:10:25 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, ampula@xxxxxxxxxx writes:
Had the same problem.  Apparently, the folder/file containing WinNT services was removed in Vista, since it is a total rewrite and does not use NT code.  Have not heard of a solution to the problem.  This may have to be reported as a "bug" in the Apache load program.
Below I am giving solution to my own post, having finally figured it out after several hours (days!):

The culprit in Vista is UAC (User Account Control). Microsoft went overboard with its security obssession in providing the most secure environment, which results in serious compatibility issues, compromising well known and liked apps like Apache webserver and God knows what else!
Turn off UAC in Vista and reinstall Apache from Add/Remove programs (Select Change and then Repair). Now Apache will be installed as a service. You will still not be able to launch the Apache monitor. Remove the shortcut from Start menu so you do not get that annoying error message everytime you boot up.

Let me now if you find out anything more.  Tks.