Re: Xampp Apache on win 2003. Problem with setting up a Virtual Host

On Mar 20, 2007, at 7:39 PM, Richard Luckhurst wrote:

When I try and start Apache it fails and refuses to start with nothing in the log files.

Look in the Applications section in the Windows Event Viewer. That is where Apache logs before it opens its own log files.

[Wed Mar 21 13:09:54 2007] [crit] (22)Invalid argument: unable to replace stderr with error_log

What is your ServerRoot? Does the logs directory exist under that ServerRoot?

Am I correct in assuming that if an access or error file does not exist then it
will be created, just like in a linux Apache installation?

If their directory exists.  Apache won't make the logs directory.

I do not understand the no VirtualHosts message in the error log.

Your VirtualHost header needs to match the NameVirtualHosts directive. Try

<VirtualHost 203.113.254.14:80>
  ServerName print.book.resmaster.com
</VirtualHost>

I also do not understand the client denied message.

Once you commented out the <Directory> stanza, the Options Indexes went away, and if directories higher in the hierarchy don't have Indexes defined, it'll deny a request for the generated directory index. I would serve index.html, were there one.

S.

--
sctemme@xxxxxxxxxx            http://www.temme.net/sander/