Re: Apache CPU Core Usage

On 3/20/07, Graham Frank <gfrank@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hello all,

OS: CentOS 4.4 x86_64
CPU: Dual Intel Xeon E5335 (quad-core)
Kernel: 2.6.20

I've been watching "top" after compiling Apache and in both the worker
and prefork MPM, I've noticed that Apache likes to use the same CPU
core a lot more than using all of the cores.  Right now, top reports
all of the prefork children as mostly using core 2 with a few using
other cores.  The worker MPM was the same way, tho I can't check how
the threads were working.

Is there any reason for this, or should I even trust what "top" is
saying?  Is there any way to get it to start using the other cores (I
bought these CPU's to utilize the cores, not give them all vacation
time, heh).

I'm not an expert in this.

But my question would be: do you see any "real" problems?  Just the
fact that apache has affinity for one processor/core should not be an
issue if there is still processing time to spare.  In fact, it is good
to stay with the same processor/core in general for caching issues.

Other than that, it is usually up to the OS to do this kind of
scheduling.  I don't know what tools CentOS has for managing processor
affinity.

Joshua.