Multiple Apache servers advice

Due to a set of requirements, I am having to setup apache to run with multiple instances. For the most part we want the httpd.conf files to be the same. I realize that I must set each instance to bind to its own set of ports, but what else should I worry about?

Are there going to be any issues with log file sharing? I don't know if writes are atomic.
Any common modules that might have problems with this scheme?
Are there any other problems/risks I should consider?

I have read the following...
http://www.arcknowledge.com/gmane.comp.apache.user/2002-05/msg00972.html

But the thread doesn't address *how* to "make sure that each Apache instance has its own lock files, scoreboard files, PID file, log files, proxy cache directory [etc]"

Thanks in advance,
Andrew