install mystery

Hello;
I have tried to install Apache 1.3.37 twice
on FreeBSD v6.2 with following commands in /usr/local/apache:
first time:
./ configure --enable-module=so --enable-module=rewrite
make
make install
second time
./ configure --enable-module=so --enable-module=rewrite --enable-shared=max
make
make install
All went through without any errors or complaints
But;
The only httpd.conf file is in /usr/local/apache/configure
and it has no LoadModule or AddModule list nor ClearModulelist directive,
That whole section is missing.
Any suggestions?
It usually makes /usr/local/etc/httpd/httpd.conf but in this situation
there is no httpd directory in the /usr/local/etc directory.
Thanks in advance
Jeff K
p.s. I know there is the ports in FreeBSD but due to problems with
ports not being necessarily up to date, installed from commercial cds
and problems with getting the right version over ftp I have bypassed the ports
collection on two other machines with success. And I have been met
with indignation from the FreeBSD general questions list when I mentioned that I had bypassed the ports mechanism. But I did that with all the related
software, php v5x, with gd  freetype  mysql, etc etc etc.