Re: can't get virtual host working

bbxrider wrote:
> i am running apache 2.2.4 on winxp pro, the apache machine is on my lan
> behind a router and nothing else
> please see my directives for my .conf file below, at least the ones that
> seem to pertain to virtual host.
> when a browser is addressed to either domain, the default page from htdocs
> is returned, not the domain page, try it!
> you will see my dir structure in the virtual host directives.
> also below is the output from httpd -S which looks ok to me, ok to a first
> apache install newbie
> i've tried many variations on the ip addr instead of *, like the local lan
> addr, 127.0.0.1, etc
> any ideas to try from here??
>
> VirtualHost configuration:
> wildcard NameVirtualHosts and _default_ servers:
> *:80                   is a NameVirtualHost
> default server www.mywarmbeach.com (C:/apache2/conf/httpd.conf:228)
> port 80 namevhost www.mywarmbeach.com (C:/apache2/conf/httpd.conf:228)
> port 80 namevhost www.job1data.com (C:/apache2/conf/httpd.conf:237)
> Syntax OK
>
> ServerRoot "C:/apache2"
> Listen 80
> DocumentRoot "C:/apache2/htdocs"
> <Directory "C:/apache2/htdocs">
>     Options Indexes FollowSymLinks
>     AllowOverride None
>     Order allow,deny
>     Allow from all
> </Directory>
> NameVirtualHost  *:80
> <VirtualHost  *:80>
>     ServerAdmin bbxrider@xxxxxxxxxxxx
>     DocumentRoot C:/apache2/htdocs/mywarmbeach
>     DirectoryIndex index.html index.htm
>     ServerName www.mywarmbeach.com
>     ServerAlias mywarmbeach.com *.mywarmbeach.com
>     ErrorLog C:/apache2/log/www.mywarmbeach-error_log
>  #  CustomLog C:/apache2/log/www.mywarmbeach-access_log
> </VirtualHost>
> <VirtualHost   *:80>
>     ServerAdmin bbxrider@xxxxxxxxxxxx
>     DocumentRoot C:/apache2/htdocs/job1data
>     DirectoryIndex index.html index.htm
>     ServerName www.job1data.com
>     ServerAlias job1data.com *.job1data.com
>     ErrorLog C:/apache2/log/www.job1data-error_log
>  #  CustomLog C:/apache2/log/www.mywarmbeach-access_log
> </VirtualHost>

where do these hosts resolve to?
nslookup www.mywarmbeach
nslookup job1data.com
the should both resolve to either localhost or the IP of the LAN NIC
that you are forwarding port 80 onto from the internet.
adjust c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts to suit.

Have you checked your setup using telnet from the command line?
telnet 127.0.0.1 80[enter]
GET / HTTP/1.1[enter]
Host: www.mywarmbeach.com[enter]

what do you get then (provided you type it correctly and dont get a bad
request)
matt