Apache mod_jk <-> Tomcat AJP connectors question

Hi,

We use apache, mod_jk and tomcat/jboss. I am currently investigating a recurrent error message spotted in our jboss/tomcat logs:
WARN  [ChannelSocket] processCallbacks status 2
I have received a suggestion to set the worker's MaxRequestsPerChild to 0 (currently set to 10000), but before implementing this change I would like to go to the bottom of this problem.

I understand apache requests will be forwarded to tomcat/jboss via the AJP connectors and the response will be sent back through the same channel. I suspect that apache disposes the child processes even before the response arrives from the application server, causing this error message at that . Based on the assumption that previous statement is correct, does apache have a compensation mechanism to recognise when responses are not complete and initiate a retry?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

--
Best Regards,
Eric Tchepannou