Re: Apache Examples Extreme Web Servers

On 3/14/07, Jan van den Berg <jan.vandenberg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

-          My platform currently hosts 4381 Vhosts (and counting) this is of course loadbalanced over multiple servers, for performance and redundancy issues but they all share the _ SAME_ Apache binary + config (yes there is only one on a centralized storage).

-          Everything from source. I have to: because I have patched versions of Apache/PHP4/PHP5. And I want to.

-          Apache 2.0.59. Because this is legacy code with proven stability and I don't need the features of 2.2 (yet)

-          Yes, linux-guru you are probably hitting your open files maximum. I had this problem too. But I wrote my own logger that uses syslog-ng to centralize my logfiles (I might put it up one of these days). But for now you might want to start Apache with "ulimit -n 65000"

I have this in startup, but it is not enough sometimes after i add this the apache also dont start.

-          You say you don't have MySQL running. How come there is a MySQL socket for PHP: MYSQL_SOCKET /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock?

We have different mysql servers that the applications (php) run on this server connects.

-          Besides that linux-guru, you have a ton of open ports running on your server. Might want to check that…. You would probably only need 21, 80 (open) en 22 (filtered).

Have you ever tried to connect to other ports than 21 and 80 ? or 443  ?

I am not sure about that :)

* what kind of storage do you use?
* is it possible for you to send me yor httpd.conf and machine tech spec.s

Cheers,

Jan