From: Jaqui Greenlees [mailto:jaqui_greenlees@xxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, March 13, 2007 4:54 PM
To: users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re:  Apache Examples Extreme Web Servers

[previous quotes]

> It was thus said that the Great Jaqui Greenlees once
> stated:
> > > We are using Redhat Enterprise Linux 4, we are
> > > installing apache , php , and modules from
> source.
> >
> > Why not use the RHEL supplied packages? it would
> > simplify the administration and patching for bugs
> and
> > security issues.
>
>   I found the exact opposite.  Using the tarballs to
> install has been by far
> easier on me than expecting the various package
> managmenet tools to work
> correctly (I've been burned by apt-get, yum and
> emerge too many times to
> even bother with them any more).

I personally wouldn't use RHEL or Suse either, both
use YUM, both throw really stupid requirements into
package dependencies. [ what binary distro doesn't
though? ]
I was thinking more the maintenance with patching,
than the basic installation being easier with a
package manager.
DIY or LFS are the two distros I think are worth
using, a 100% from source, no automated tools build, [
DIY being build scripts, not a installer script ] no
bogus dependencies foisted on you by someone else, no
bloatware GUI forced on you, no really stupid disable
root account type decisions to have to fix. [ can ya
tell I'm not happy with most distros? ;) ]
I only once, in the last 9 years, have had a single
issue caused through an update from a distro supplied
package manager, Mandrake 8.2 broke Apache with a
mod_perl update.

Jaqui