Re: Russian characters

Thomas Blanchin wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a problem getting some httpd servers displaying russians
> characters.
> I have different machines serving the same content (mounted via nfs).
> - All servers run httpd 2.0.52 and php 4.4.5.
> - The httpd and php configuration is synced over all servers.
> Despite that, some of my servers display strange characters "?" and
> others...,
> instead of cyrilic ones.
>
> The HTTP header returned from a working and non-working server is the
> same :
>   HTTP/1.1 200 OK
>   Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 22:55:40 GMT
>   Server: Apache/2.0.52 (Red Hat)
>   Set-Cookie: 123Tlanguage=ru_RU
>   Connection: close
>
> So : UTF-8...
> But if I wget the page, I can see for instance :
>
> Correct chars :
> alert("Ð~_ожалÑ~CйÑ~AÑ~Bа, введиÑ~Bе Ñ~Aвой
> логинпа~L");
>
> Weird chars :
> alert("¿ÞÖÐÛãÙáâÐ, ÒÒÕÔØâÕ áÒÞÙ ÛÞÓØÝ / ßÐàÞÛì");
>
> I'm not a russian speaker, but I can tell that the encoding is not the
> same.
>
> I have also checked phpinfo() which looks quite similar on non/working
> server, and
> the $LANG env variable is "en_US.UTF-8" on all servers.
quite similar? I thought the setup was synched across the different servers.

> I don't know where to look precisely (and sorry if this is more php
> than http).
> Thank you for your help !

Are we allowed to look at the output from these servers ourselves can
you point us to 2 URLs for instance. I only ask this because telling us
that everything is the same but isn't, kind of leaves no other choice. I
notice there is no last-modified or Etag, where is php getting its data,
is it a Database which might have different encoding on the different
machines? Do you have different OS for each machine perhaps one which is
older? Does any of your content get proxied?

Matthew Farey