Re: mod_cgi versus mod_cgid

On 3/6/07, Bob Kline <bkline@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I'd like to replace mod_cgi with mod_cgid in order to avoid an annoying
bug which is in the former but not the latter.  What would be the
drawbacks (if any) of doing this?  I noticed the following sentence in
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/mpm.html:

    For example, sites that need a great deal of scalability can choose
to use a
    threaded MPM like |worker
<http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/mod/worker.html>|, while sites
requiring stability or compatibility with
    older software can use a |prefork
<http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/mod/prefork.html>|.

Does this imply (as it seems to) that the MPM approach is not stable?
Any other pitfalls to watch out for?  This would be on a
single-processor (AMD64) machine.

First, both worker and prefork are MPMs, so you are not really talking
about an "MPM approach", you are talking about choosing between a
threaded (worker) and non-threaded (prefork) MPM.

Second, you don't need to change MPMs to use mod_cgid.  It is the
default CGI module when using worker, but I don't see any reason it
can't be used along with prefork.  It does add a level of complication
to the CGI launch process, but I believe it is fairly well tested, so
it shouldn't be a problem.

Finally, if you do wish to go with the worker MPM, then I can clarify
the stability comment.  It is not a question of woker itself not being
stable.  The problem is that when you run a multi-threaded server, a
problem in any of the worker threads can take down a whole process,
meaning multiple clients will be affected.  With prefork, on the other
hand, different client requests are better isolated from each other.
This is not usually an issue unless you are using third-party modules
that have a tendency to crash the server.

Joshua.