Using rewrite_module, mod_ssl, and jk_mod with problems.]

I have Apache in front of tomcat and I need to catch an incoming url of a specific pattern (an ssl POST), rewrite that to a specific uri, forward that on to tomcat thru jk_mod.  The ssl part seems to work (maybe not, in one or more specific cases), the jk_mod certainly seems to work, the rewrite_module works sometimes but not in the specific case I require.  I have chased this problem for days and feel like I am chasing my tail.  I hope someone will be able to help.  Thanks.

Let me first state the specific case with which I am trying to deal:

1. I have a java program which forms up and sends an SSL POST to localhost:443.  The url it uses is https://localhost:443/SSLMerchantClearing/.  I desire Apache (via the modules) to intercept the incoming /SSLMerchantClearing/ and rewrite that to /ClearerFileIncoming/SSLMerchantClearing, sending that request on - as an unmodified SSL POST - to tomcat.  Rewrite_module does not do anything in this case; the rewrite_module_log reports nothing.  The originating program throws an exception indicating it has received an http error 500 back (something bad happened on the server).

I have attempted to use some variants of this request to help me debug the process:

1. When I use the browser to issue an https://localhost/ClearerFileIncoming/SSLMerchantClearing (starting with the desired end result of the rewrite), SSL workes fine, rewrite_model log reports it looked at all the maps attempting to find a match which it does not find because that is not the uri to be mapped.  Jk_mod does find that uri to ba sent on to tomcat, which it does. The tomcat process reports it received it okay but craters when there is no data associated with the request (it is not a POST, but a GET, so no data as would be with a POST).

2. When I use the browser to issue an https://localhost/SSLMerchantClearing/, rewrite behaves similarily to when the program sends the same URL as a POST in that it reports nothing.  The browser reports receiving an http 404 file not found message (there is no such program on Apache on htdocs).  There is no uri matching anything jk_mod is to send to tomcat, so nothing is sent to tomcat.

3. When I use the browser to issue an http://localhost/SSLMerchantClearing/ (same url, except not an SSL request and not a POST). the browser reports an http error 403 "Forbidden" (probably a directory access issue there).  Rewrite correctly finds the match and rewrites '/SSLMerchantClearing/' -> '/ClearerFileIncoming/SSLMerchantClearing'.  jk_mod sends the request across to tomcat and the tomcat process throws an exception that it could not find the data to work on (because what came across was a GET, not a POST with associated data).

So ... I either have some configuation issues yet to resolve, or I am asking the mod set of ssl_module, mod_jk, and rewrite_module to do something that can't be done.

Anybody want to offer any ideas for where I should look next?

Oh, and to head of the obvious suggestion ... I cannot modify the originating program to simply cause it to send the right URL in the first place because a couple of hundred companies are already using the original libraries, all of which send the URL that most be rewritten, and have been for a few years.  I cannot ask them all to get updated libraries and re-code.  Nice try, though.

Thanks for help,