Re: Commom Apache configurations shared between live and development servers?

On 3/2/07, jon@xxxxxxxxxxx <jon@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi guys,

I'm wondering if anybody has done something like this before (it
doesn't seem that out of the ordinary to me)?

Our current set-up is a mess and we're trying to fix it, so I'm
looking for some best practice or recommended methods to the following:

Essentially we have a "master" publishing server and then a set of
development servers and a set of edge browsing servers, all of these
boxes will be upgraded from Apache 1.3 on FreeBSD 4.9 to Apache 2.0 on
Red Hat RHEL 4.0.

All of our servers use a standard set of shared configurations for
site configurations. We then use mod_define and host specific
configuration files  and pass -D `hostname`to httpd on all boxes to
decide what the machines virtual host domain names and document roots
should be.

I had a similar problem to solve. Multiple web servers, development
servers etc. But I solved it using mod_perl. With mod_perl you are
very flexible.

Krist

--
krist.vanbesien@xxxxxxxxx