Re: DirectoryIndex Not Working w/PHP on 2.0.58

alex@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> I've got a FreeBSD 5.4-RELEASE box that I've just fallen into
> administering, with an existing Apache 2.0.58 install. One of my first
> tasks has been to get PHP4 installed, so that the site can support a
> blog and some other features.
>
> The PHP installation went smoothly, as I did it via FreeBSD's ports
> tree. Phpinfo() shows a healthy install, and the blog functions
> great...except for the fact that it relies on index.php being served
> up for a given directory, which is not working.
>
> Having run into this problem before, I went off and added "index.php"
> to the global DirectoryIndex, which now looks like:
>
> DirectoryIndex index.html index.html.var index.php
>
> When this didn't work (I'm still getting a directory listing instead
> of the output of index.php when I hit
> http://www.myserver.com/subdirectory/), I figured it might have
> something to do with the fact that the domain in question was being
> served out of a VirtualHost directive. So I went in and tweaked the
> DirectoryIndex value for the virtual host, so that it is now:
>
>     DirectoryIndex index.html index.html.var index.asp index.php
>
> (The index.asp piece is because this site was earlier migrated from an
> IIS box; those files are actually just pure HTML in this case.)
>
> Note that I've also got:
>
> AddType application/x-httpd-php .php
>
> in my global config, and PHP pages will parse properly when called
> directly.
>
> Even with all this done, I'm still getting directory listings instead
> of the output of index.php. At this point, I'm baffled. The only thing
> I can think of is that there's lots of modules loaded, and perhaps one
> of them is conflicting with another somehow.
>
> In any case, here are those modules, as well as the relevant
> VirtualHost config:
>
> LoadModule access_module libexec/apache2/mod_access.so
> LoadModule auth_module libexec/apache2/mod_auth.so
> LoadModule auth_anon_module libexec/apache2/mod_auth_anon.so
> LoadModule auth_dbm_module libexec/apache2/mod_auth_dbm.so
> #LoadModule auth_digest_module libexec/apache2/mod_auth_digest.so
> #LoadModule file_cache_module libexec/apache2/mod_file_cache.so
> LoadModule charset_lite_module libexec/apache2/mod_charset_lite.so
> #LoadModule cache_module libexec/apache2/mod_cache.so
> #LoadModule disk_cache_module libexec/apache2/mod_disk_cache.so
> LoadModule include_module libexec/apache2/mod_include.so
> LoadModule deflate_module libexec/apache2/mod_deflate.so
> LoadModule log_config_module libexec/apache2/mod_log_config.so
> LoadModule logio_module libexec/apache2/mod_logio.so
> LoadModule env_module libexec/apache2/mod_env.so
> LoadModule mime_magic_module libexec/apache2/mod_mime_magic.so
> LoadModule cern_meta_module libexec/apache2/mod_cern_meta.so
> LoadModule expires_module libexec/apache2/mod_expires.so
> LoadModule headers_module libexec/apache2/mod_headers.so
> LoadModule usertrack_module libexec/apache2/mod_usertrack.so
> [...]

Have you looked around for further config blocks of the type
<Directory /usr/local/www/data>
</Directory>
Does your server have rewrites in place for this, and is the file
listing you are seeing the location to which the DirectoryIndex
directive applies, it is the location directive in the vhosts section
that is making me think that theres more to the vhost setup for this domain.

--
Matthew Farey