Re: Installing Apache 1.3 on Windows 2003

Techguy wrote:
> Now that everyone has got their opinions out of the way of how behind I am,
> is their a way to get this to work? To the person who said "I doubt it's
> your box anymore", Why?? It is and it works, and to WOW everyone even more,
> it's running beautifully on a 366 with 256 megs of ram.

Apache 1.3.5 is about 8 years old, and was never released.  If you run software
that flaky, and connected to the internet, you are pwned and should reformat
your harddrive immediately and spare us the spam and viruses you are spewing
out on behalf of others.

> New does not necessarily mean better, and in many cases are much worse.

In the case of Apache 1.3 - I'm individually responsible for a vast number
of Windows-specific bug fixes to the very hackish attempt to run Apache using
threads, instead of separate processes.  It works (kinda) and I used it (past
tense) myself when I was locally developing stuff on win to roll out on real
boxes in production (not windows).  Apache 1.3 was built for fork().

In Apache 2 we scrapped that crap.  We started over designing the internals
of apache to deal with threads, processes or whatever the Operating System
provided us that would work effectively.  A library called APR provides the
most generic abstraction of these concepts that we can.

So on Windows, you won't find many champions when the only source code
champion (me) has effectively said aidos to 1.3 when it's running on Win.
The bugs that remain in 1.3 on Windows will never be fixed.  The solution
to a new server on Windows is an Apache 2.something version.

That is as official a word as you'll ever read.

Bill