Question about mod_rewrite

hello

I need help and advices about using mod_rewrite

I have some pdf files on my web site
A foreign web site has stored these pdf file on a html file on this foreign web site
I would like to redirect its requests to another page

so I wrote:
        <IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
                RewriteEngine Off
                RewriteCond  %{HTTP_REFERER}  ^http://www.theforeignwebsite.com/*\.html
                RewriteRule  (.+)  http://www.theanotherpage.com
        </IfModule>

But it doesn't work ! When the foreign web site tries to access , the redirection begins but doesn't finish.
in the access log of my web site, the access is repeated 20 times with a 302 number for the redirect
On IE, an error message is returned, on firefox, it tells me to check the cookies...

However I tested this configuration on the same apache server ( 2.0.52) on another machine and the redirection
works well and it succeded

I tried to specify the redirection code 302 or 301 in the append flag R but it is the same

Thanks for your help

cheers

Jean-Philippe Battu
Grenoble