Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 11:51:02 GMT
Server: Apache
Transfer-Encoding: chunked

42
TRACE /inbox?Uid=379%2D100 HTTP/1.1
Host: 172.17.129.61:50084

0

From: Steve Swift [mailto:steve.j.swift@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, February 13, 2007 1:38 PM
To: users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Disable TRACE HTTP method on Apache 1.3.33

Try this, then:

# Suppress the TRACE and TRACK methods to avoid cross-site scripting vulnerability
<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
RewriteEngine on
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_METHOD} ^(TRACE|TRACK)
RewriteRule .* - [F]
</IfModule>

On 13/02/07, Yaniv Ofer <Ofer.Yaniv@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi p

It says here that the TRACE method cannot be limited.

-Ofer

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/1.3/mod/core.html#limit
<Limit> directive
Syntax: <Limit method [method] ... > ... </Limit>
Context: any
Access controls are normally effective for all access methods, and this
is the usual desired behavior. In the general case, access control
directives should not be placed within a <limit> section.

The purpose of the <Limit> directive is to restrict the effect of the
access controls to the nominated HTTP methods. For all other methods,
the access restrictions that are enclosed in the <Limit> bracket will
have no effect. The following example applies the access control only to
the methods POST, PUT, and DELETE, leaving all other methods
unprotected:

<Limit POST PUT DELETE>
Require valid-user
</Limit>
The method names listed can be one or more of: GET, POST, PUT, DELETE,
CONNECT, OPTIONS, PATCH, PROPFIND, PROPPATCH, MKCOL, COPY, MOVE, LOCK,
and UNLOCK. The method name is case-sensitive. If GET is used it will
also restrict HEAD requests. The TRACE method cannot be limited.

Warning: A <LimitExcept> section should always be used in preference to
a <Limit> section when restricting access, since a <LimitExcept> section
provides protection against arbitrary methods.