Re: Apache 2.2 with redirect and CGI

On Wed, Feb 07, 2007 at 01:23:07PM -0800, John Stewart wrote:
> Problem description as best I currently understand it:
>
> We are trying to combine two MoinMoin wikis onto a single host. The two
> wikis were previously known by DNS names of wiki and kiwi respectively,
> and we want to preserve that functionality for our user base.
>
> When we move to a third host, we're presented with a couple of issues. I
> can change the DNS pointers for the previous hosts to point to the new
> hosts, but do I need to create vhosts with the previous names so Apache
> knows what to do with those requests? Or does it simply process any
> inbound traffic on port 80?

You only need to setup virtual hosts if a different site/configuration
should be selected based on the host name/ip address/port/etc.

> Additionally, the wiki software needs to launch a CGI script. Does that
> need to exist in each vhost separately?

I think moin moin supports virtual hosting via the farmconfig
functionality. So unless I'm missing some detail regarding why
you would want a different apache configuration for each wiki
(ie. different log files, etc.) I think you can accomplish the
different wiki per hostname at the moin level.

> We've been working our way through documentation, but clearly still have
> a lot to learn.

Good luck! Let me know if the above works out OK.

--
Steve Feehan