From: Joshua Slive <joshua@xxxxxxxx>
To: users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Tuesday, February 6, 2007 10:07:31 PM
Subject: Re: Apache 2.0.46 problem

On 2/6/07, Abhijit Bhatnagar <abhinator@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I have Apache/2.0.46 (Red Hat) with server status module installed on my  server and I
> also have a script running which checks every 5 mins whether the  apache server is
> responding to a http request ... The server status page after  every hour or so shows 99%
> of the requests with a "w" in front and at that time  my server stops responding ... What
> could be the reason for this could anyone  shed some light on this ... Or direct me to
> some resources which could help me  figure it out

2.0.46 is very old and should be upgraded for security reasons if nothing else.

The fact that SS is very high on all these requests implies to me that
your php scripts are stuck someplace and unable to finish serving
requests.  Perhaps you have database contention or some other resource
that is not available.  You may also simply be out of memory, causing
apache to thrash (check "top").

If you can't figure out what is causing your php scripts to stick, you
can attach to them with a debugger to see where they are at:
http://httpd.apache.org/dev/debugging.html#backtrace

As a temporary measure, it may also help to reduce MaxClients
substantially, which should limit contention on whatever resource is
causing the problem.

Joshua.