RE: Troubleshooting Tips?

I'm as bit confused - is apache slow in starting, or serving once
started, or both?

General tips: slow operation can be caused by using hostnames instead of
IPs in VirtualHost tags etc. This causes apache to rely on DNS at
startup (http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/dns-caveats.html).

Other issues are network latency (eg, content on NFS) and avoiding
sendfile
(http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/core.html#enablesendfile).

> This is especially
> pertinent when Apache isn't actually encountering errors, it is just
> running an order of magnitude more slowly than it ought to
> be. I realize
> there's strace, but using it on something as big and complex as Apache
> is somewhat daunting.

Maybe - but it might be worth it.. start httpd with the -X option under
strace/truss, eg:

	strace httpd -X -f /path/to/config

and sew where it is "waiting"...

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

> Thanks a lot!
> Evan Klitzke

This message is for the named person's use only. It may contain confidential, proprietary or legally privileged information. No confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost by any mistransmission. If you receive this message in error, please notify the sender urgently and then immediately delete the message and any copies of it from your system. Please also immediately destroy any hardcopies of the message. You must not, directly or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of this message if you are not the intended recipient. The sender's company reserves the right to monitor all e-mail communications through their networks. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where the message states otherwise and the sender is authorised to state them to be the views of the sender's company.