Re: best apache config for joomla site

On Jan 30, 2007, at 3:43 PM, Noah wrote:

apache-2.0.0.1

That's not something we have ever released... We have 2.0.58 or (even better) 2.2.4.

joomla-1.0.12

As you are probably aware, Joomla! has its own support structure with many web forums, some dedicated to security. This mailinglist is not a Joomla! support resource.

So I want to keep the joomla directory in a path that has nothing to do with the site's DocumentRoot. I am assuming this brings more security.

I don't see a reason why this would be the case. Any way your Apache serves Joomla! pages, it'll have to execute those PHP scripts. Some of the PHP scripts have to write to directories under the Joomla! installation hierarchy. Theoretically, these directories could be accessed through the web server, although the Joomla! folks by and large made them inaccessible to access other than what they require.

Joomla! uses these directories for ongoing tasks like caching, and for once-only things like installing Mambots etc. If I recall correctly, the next version of Joomla! will allow you to put those writable directories outside the DocumentRoot and I personally think this is a good idea.

If you browse the Joomla! security support forum, there are post(s) about how much exactly needs to be writable. Definitely don't make your configuration.php writable by the web server...

Which platform are you using? On Windows, the web server can write to its DocumentRoot unless you specifically tell it not to. On any other platform, it's exactly the other way around.

But what I'd like to do is take out the need for joomla to be nested in the http://www.site.com/main URL

I'd like joomla to appear without 'main' in the URL - like http:// www.site.com/

how would I configure my httpd.conf file to allow this behavior.

Just plonk the Joomla! files in your DocumentRoot. No configuration magic necessary. Alternatively, put them wherever you want and configure that directory to be your DocumentRoot.

S.

--
sctemme@xxxxxxxxxx            http://www.temme.net/sander/