Re: Question about ProxyPass

On 1/24/07, Phill Edwards <philledwards@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
My company sends out web-based surveys to our customers. These surveys
are managed by a 3rd party so the domain name that the surveys are
served under is totally different to our domain name.

Would it be possible to use ProxyPass to make it look like the surveys
were being served under our own domain. The survey URLs look something
like this:

Page 1 - http://XXXX.com/take/?i=110194&r=20314964&h=ZP26jPoZUCD0xTXxVZoRcw
Page 2 - http://XXXX.com/Take/getsurvey.isp?i=110194&PageId=3&r=20314964&h=ZP26jPoZUCD0xTXxVZoRcw&qn=&cn=2
Page 3 - http://XXXX.com/Take/getsurvey.isp?i=110194&PageId=5&r=20314964&h=ZP26jPoZUCD0xTXxVZoRcw&qn=&cn=3
etc.

Does it depend on how the web site has been written - so for example
if they've used absolute URLs instead of relative URLs would that be a
problem?

Any advice on how this may be achieved any other way?

The most trouble-free way to do this would be to setup a ProxyPass at
the root of the server.  Then there would be no question of breakage
with relative links.  Something like

NameVirtualHost *:80
<VirtualHost *:80>
ServerName survey.yoursite.example.com
ProxyPass / http://XXX.com/
ProxyPassReverse / http://XXX.com/
</VirtualHost>

Then you can use exactly the same links in the emails, just replacing
XXX.com with survey.yoursite.example.com.

If you want to do it more cleanly (ie, with shorter URLs), then you
need to worry about relative links.  You might be able to use a module
like mod_proxy_html to correct them.

Note also that proxying will increase the latency for your users.  And
you'll need to watch out if cookies are being used.  See the mod_proxy
docs.

Joshua.